Monday, April 30, 2012

Bitter Gourd Soup

My hub always asks for bitter gourd soup. I  don't know how to cook for it and also I am lazy to search for the recipe from the internet. Until one day an aunty who is good in cooking shares with  me a bitter gourd soup recipe and she claims that the soup is very tasty and even kids would love it. So I have give it a try.

I am glad that the soup turned out to be very tasty as what the aunty described, and my hub and kids love the soup. A comment from hub that he asked me to put more bitter gourd to add more bitterness to the soup.

The ingredients for the soup :

1. Pork ribs
2. bitter gourd ( half bitter gourd)
3. red dates
4. carrots
My first  bitter gourd soup.The kids love it too because it isn't bitter at all.

I whip up another dish with the other half of the bitter gourd. I also got the recipe from the aunty.

Pan fried bitter gourd with garlic. I am the person that wouldn't touch bitter gourd but I have to admit this dish is a appetizing dish.

17 comments:

Mummy Gwen said...

Did your kids drink this? I think Gwen won't like it..she hates bitter stuff.

I'm eating bitter gourd now coz I heard it's nutricious.

アンゼエリン said...

Bitter Gourd is very good. My son don't eat it, but with bitter gourd soup...he dunno there's bitter gourd inside! hehehe...

Mommy to Chumsy said...

oh, i don't take bitter gourd too but your dishes sure look appetizing :)

Small Kucing said...

Thankiu thankui for the recipe. I always make soup with bitter gourd and eggs. Never thought make like this. Good idea

Kristie said...

moon, must share why soup isn't bitter! most kids don't like the bitterness ;-)

Merryn said...

I love bittergourd! I'd travel far just to eat bittergourd noodles... and more!

Vickylow said...

emm the soup look yummy. Long time I didn't cook bitter gourd cause my kids for sure won't like it.

yvonne said...

I dislike bitter gourd. But many told me that bitter gourd soup is nice, no bitter at all.

I guess I should start cooking this soup as my soup menu always get repeated.

Sheoh Yan said...

My husband too loves the is bitter gourd soup the most. I also put in carrot in the bitter gourd soup.

Mummy to QiQi said...

any tips on how to "clean" the bitter gourd for your soup so its not bitter? I tried and failed miserably! But i like bitter gourd soup served in restaurant.

MeRy said...

Hubby n Ryan dislike bittergourd...but I love it.

prince n princess mum said...

yummy!

anney said...

I love bitter gourds. I love sauteed bitterg gourd with eggs!

アンゼエリン said...

Stop by to wish u a very happy Mother's day.

Mummy Moon said...

Mummy Gwen, my kids love the soup. You don't really taste the bitterness in the soup maybe is because of the other ingredients like tomato, carrot and red dates have cover the bitter gourd taste.

Mummy Moon said...

Mummy to Qi Qi, I don;t have any tips to clean the bitterness. But you can choose bitter gourd that is not that bitter by picking bitter gourds that is more light green. You don't really taste the bitterness in the soup maybe is because of the other ingredients like tomato, carrot and red dates have cover the bitter gourd taste. Btw I only put half biji of bitter gourd.

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Me and my husband are a big fans of bittergourd.
Bittergourd with Chicken, taste nice!

I have yet to try the soup, should give a try..sounds simple:-)