Friday, April 17, 2009

Simple Homemade Dishes

I learned to cook this braised pork belly in soy sauce from my Hokkien MIL. A simple homemade dish but very appealing to our taste buds. My hubs and Yan Yan like this very much.



To prepare this dish, I will need 2-3 whole bulbs of this garlic, I have no idea what its name, it is a type of garlic with darker color in its skin. Easy to get at wet market or night market.

other ingredients :

1. Pork Belly ( 600g-1000g)
2. Soy sauce
3. Dark soy sauce
4. 3/4-1 tsp of salt
5. 3/4-1 tsp of sugar
7. 70-100 ml water
6. Hard boiled eggs (optional)

I repeat, it is very easy to cook this dish. All you need to do is put all the ingredients ( except the eggs) in a pot. Turn your stove heat to the minimum and start to simmer the meat for about 2 hours or until the porks are tender. Add in the eggs. No oil is required. You may add a little more water if the gravy dries up too much.


Yummy! Yummy!

13 comments:

jazzmint said...

hi there, i came from jasmine's blog. read your comment there regarding the photography session for shan rae. Do drop us a note if you want to enquire bout the photography session for children. We are revising our price in May so it'd be good to sign up early to get the old price :).

BTW, the dish looks vy yummy ;).

Our email: twopixelsphotography@gmail.com

Angeline said...

what is the 'blended thick sauce'?

Lybil said...

Oh yes, I love to cook this dish too!!! It's so easy and yummy :)

cheers,
HN
http://lybil1.free.fr

Mummy Moon said...

aNGEline, it is dark soy sauce :)
Jazzmint, thanks for that.

Merryn said...

is dat roasted garlic? hmm.. i think i've seen this darker version of garlic in supermarkets b4..

Serene said...

simply delicous! I love this dish from my mum too =)

Anney said...

Looks really yummy and very easy to make! When i first saw the garlic photo I thought you roasted them yourself. Thanks for sharing this dish!

Oliveoylz said...

I love this dish. One of my all time favourites. I didn't know we should get the darker skinned garlic for better taste. I will look out for this next time. Tx for the tip!

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Yes..is one of my husband's fav too.

The type of garlic..My mom called it "火蒜".
I am sure the dish taste better with it, but I can't get it here.
Oh ya, this type of garlic is more expensive too.

Fussy mum said...

Nice looking dish!! I love this too :) I think that's roasted garlic, slightly more expensive than the normal white ones and more fragrant too.

Anggie's Journal said...

this is my all time fav dish ... yummy :P even when i was child until now ..... hihihi

vickylow said...

Thanks for sharing. Yes the roasted garlic's fragance smell nicer :)

MeRy said...

Yummy...tq for sharing tis recipe.